Ramblings to do with software and computer/gadget related things.
I had a need to process a bunch of PDFs containing some sensitive info, before they could be forwarded to an external team. This is how I did that data obfuscation from a Unix command line.
A while ago I started using HEAD requests via Ajax in some apps and thought I'd write a few notes about why. Basically it's to improve user interfaces/experience when things start getting complicated.
This is likely old news for many people, but I hadn't come across the HTTP
Content-Disposition response header until recently, so here's my notes about it. The idea is to get the browser to ask the user to save a dynamically generated document they've downloaded, with a useful default filename for the downloaded file.
A note about an HTML escaping gotcha in JSTL which can lead to XSS security problems.